Monday, July 8, 2013

July Crafting - My Kissy Critters



Well, after March Notebook Composition Madness, da plan was to craft some Kissy Critters.

And the dead line was to complete them by the  end of May.

 But a little 4 letter word - LIFE stopped the plan dead in the water.  I kinda had to yell "Mayday, May day!" because I couldn't even finish them in May, and had to put aside the crafting to help myself out with other stuff- LIFE- until June.  I hate when happens!  LOL

"OK, what are kisses?" I hear you asking yourself (yes, I have cyber ears that seem to be able to pick of these kinds of thoughts-LOL)

Kisses are critters made of plastic canvas.  When you squeeze their "cheeks" they open and you find a chocolate kiss inside.

I love making these critters because I can justify doing the squeezing  as an addition to my exercize program when I need chocolate.  Well it does work to ME!  (Don't know if it will work for you, especially if you are doing a workout as a prep for Navy SEAL Indoct!)

Below is a critter based on my dog Rosie.  She is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  If you are familiar with these lovebugs of dogs, they are a perfect models for Kissy Critters because they love to  give you  kisses.  In fact, my Rosie, will start giving kisses on command.  Stopping , however, is another matter.

To show  how  a Kissy Critter works I have posted the below pix.



 1- Rosie "give kises"!
















 
 2.


3.
.
















4- Rosie fetch!!!













 

5. Repeat!!!!!

Below are pix of some of the  Kissy Critters, that I made in June.













































2 comments:

  1. I love these! How did you do the ears? Especially on the tiger? I want to make pointy ears on one I am making but I'm not sure how to do it...I'm kind of a rookie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gina, thanks for stopping by.

    Here's some help on creating ears- you cut have to cut ears on the plastic canvas squares - the front and back of the kissy. The squares of the front and back are larger than the base ( bottom) For example for the tiger the front and back are 17 x 17 bars (lines on the canvas). The bottom piece is 14 x 14 The ears are now part of your kissy squares to be whipped on the edges and filled on the inside.

    The pattern to cut the front and back pieces, is too complicated to show and example here.

    I would go to a Michaels Crafts Store or JoAnne's by the plastic canvas book section (somewhere in the yarn section) to buy a book that has some patterns for the more complicated kissys- those having ears, wings, etc, and you will see how to cut the canvas ears and details. Around Christmas there Christmas book that should have some patterns with kissy reindeers etc.

    Another idea is just to use felt as ears and glue on with fabric hot glue. I also have use balck chennels aka pipe cleaners and pushed it through the top on the front piece.

    You can make it as simple or complicated as you want.

    When you get the kissy making fever, use some graft paper- and create your own patterns. I've done this, so you can too!

    ReplyDelete